Monday 28 February 2011

#7) Untitled III

Sometimes I stand on a haystack and imagine
the prickles are coals on a dark jungle floor,
and I’m walking barefoot, testing my skin.
They say that the mind controls the body,
and that an absent mind is more than a dream
with fairies, but a cave where water drips
in the air; every sense feels far away
until one lands on you, cold, like a fever.
I think the sheep watch me and wonder
what it’s like to be higher than the fence.
I would tell them I don’t feel the hay anymore
and that the wind gives me pins-and-needles
in my hands when night rises and I still
haven’t caught a cloud. The jungles grow
around me and they become blank eyes
staring from the undergrowth. I meet
them all and stare back until they turn away,
the coals flickering in the grass, growing cold.

 

(One day left, only . . . twenty-two poems to go . . . :S )

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep it up,

    join poetry potluck if you wish, look at the side bar of my blog, click on Jingle Poetry, find potluck post by scrolling down, first time participants can shre 1 to 3 old poems or poems unrelated to our theme...

    cheers.
    love your style here.

    ReplyDelete