Friday 1 April 2011

NaPoWriMo (the proper one this time) and Glass Alchemy

Sooooo, my pre-NaPo failed, as you'll notice if you look back through my posts. I think I got seven out of twenty-eight or something embarrassingly awful like that . . . but this is a new month, a new start, and I'm hoping to achieve more this time round that in February.

My first NaPo was last year, when I was rather bullied into it by a newbie who'd joined about a month earlier and poetry-ised the whole site. I hadn't really done much poetry beforehand, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a go anyway. We shared a thread on one of the writing sites I'm on, and his awesomness made me strive to work harder so I didn't look so . . . rubbishy. :3 But I finished with thirty poems, and that made me happy. :)

This year, I also intend to finish. *crosses fingers*

Also, I'm hoping to post up a couple of reviews (for a TV series and a film) in the next few weeks, too, which is something new. They're probably going to be more discussions though, but heh, technicalities blow.

Anyway, without further ado, my first poem of April:


Glass Alchemy

When I was small and believed in magic,
my father showed me how to make little glass coins
from the white beaches collected in my wellies.

In the mornings, I watched him gather light bulbs
of glowing honey onto a dipper, and shape them
into harvest moons, small as my raincoat buttons.

On the walls he kept a hundred jam jars,
each half-filled with coloured powders, while rings
of wire about their necks fused them to the wallpaper
and stone, like captured palms, ever-holding on.

When he added the colours, they moved
in tiny eddies, like spices trapped inside a marble,
squashed flat. My task was to stamp them
and give them all names and faces.

My mother’s name was Laurel;
I do not remember her face.

In the evenings we’d search for seashells,
insert a coloured coin, and write our names
on their lips, might they sing her voice back to us,
instead of crushing waves.

Our footprints once waded out to sea, searching,
but now I’m older, wiser, no longer believe in whispers,
so I tip the glass coins back into the waves,
returning them to sand and old magics.
I sell back my father’s secret:

that beautiful things smash like bones,
and elixirs make the past grow older,
always unchanged.


1 comment:

  1. I stumbled upon your site, and what a delightful discovery. Your first piece for the NaPoWriMo is captivatingly charming! Thank you ...

    I love the look and feel of your blog! becca

    ReplyDelete