Monday 4 April 2011

2. The Pineapple Trees

In autumn, pineapples fall in the woods
with soft thuds where the dying leaves lay among the needles,
dressed in red and gold to hide their bare bones.

I used to run home at dusk with one in each hand,
grasping at crocodile leaves that had shrunk and changed
by the time I held them before my mother.

My sister is taller than me and sometimes she picks them
too early, and their petal lips flake and fall away;
we take down the summer bunting and spit bitter flesh
(wooden instead of yellow) into the grass, a quarter
-ring is hidden inside for a shortened season.

She’d try to explain how pinecones are different
by putting their corpses near the fire, so they’d open up
and allow their souls to fill with the rain
that patters down our chimney.
Pineapples don’t grow on trees, she told me.

In the October quiet, the leaves fall slower,
revealing their transparency as they melt
into each other: blood and tanned skin,
hanging (barely) in the treetops, a memory of songs
blistering on the threshing floors.

I sit beneath a wintering tree and watch the pineapples
falldecayanddisappear, nature recycling in a second.
My summer dress is stained and sticky with juice
and an empty shell rests in my lap.
Could be a skull or a mask,
in time. Through the branches I see scales falling
in place of leaves, like fruit dragons
shedding their skins.

No comments:

Post a Comment