Saturday 22 January 2011

Lego, Old Toys, and Serious Nostalgia

Today (actually, the day before yesterday now), I spent two hours moving Happyland figures over my desk and building Lego walls around them for my stop-motion thingummywhatsit that's going to be in the music video I'm making for my Media Studies coursework. It was more fun than I thought it would be as my teacher and some people who’d done it before said it was a chore. So I surprised myself at how my inner child found moving yukky chemical-smelling plastic toys half a centimetre after every picture, very thrilling indeed.

See this grin?? 


Those are the colours of happiness, nostalgia, and that freaky smell of new plastic.

Nobody would lend me any Lego though, and weirdly, my family never actually ever had any 'proper' lego, just the huge Duplo stuff. So I had to buy some proper Lego of my own (who knew it was so expensive?) and make up a story about my actually-existing-but-not-yet-anywhere-near-four-year-old-brother's fourth birthday coming up next month for the nice checkout guy who commented on my age and my obvious wide-eyed childish excitement (I'm guessing I was smiling too much?) at finding myself in a toyshop . . .

Anyway, yes. Lego is awesome, and I'm totally going to build houses and ducks and have mummy invasions (two mummies holding scorpions are the only people I have) to relieve college/life stress.




[caption id="attachment_153" align="aligncenter" width="535" caption=""My Scorpion will kill you even though you're already dead! Muahahahaha!!""][/caption]

*smiles happily*


Anyway, the awesome thing is, I actually have lots to talk about for once! Rediscovering Lego has made me remember all my favourite old toys from when I was a kid. I still have a few, and some I think must be in the loft somewhere, but I'm very saddened now that I sold so many. Ebay's helping me find old favourites I've lost though. My bank account doesn't like toys, though, the boring old fart.

So this is going to be my List of Most Awesome Toys from my Childhood.

First up is my Polly Pockets:



I got the wedding set (big purple heart) for my fourth birthday, I remember opening it and everything. It's always been one of my favourite toys, and though I don't have as many of the pieces as I used to (I was always really careful about bits, but we moved house a lot), it still looks new and plays the sounds and everything. xD The other one was one my dad bought for me when I was about eleven from a toy fair – I was a bit too old to play with it, so it’s in much better condition and the bits aren’t so . . . obviously nineties, if you know what I mean.

Second is the Teeny Weenie Families Grand Hotel:


Apparently this series of toys are quite rare now, and I'm gutted to say I used to have many more. There was a teapot cafe (I still have the characters and some of bits for it though, so it might be in the loft), a sewing machine tailors shop, a little tiny flower shop, and all sorts. They were like Polly Pockets but so much more awesome and cuter. The furniture and accessories, though . . . geez, some of them were so tiny it's hard to believe they could be made by machines and that the dreaded HealthAndSafetyDemons actually allowed them to be made for four year olds. Anyway, it's an adorable set, and I hope my (future, maybe) daughter might like them as much as I did. I’m currently stalking eBay for the other sets. :3

Third is the Pound Puppy Diner:



I had a huge Pound Puppy addiction when I was a kid. I can still hear the TV adverts in my head, word for word. I pined for the Pound Puppy Play Van for a long, long time, and was absolutely thrilled when I got it for Christmas when I was five/six. If I still had the Play Van, it would have the No.1 spot, purely because it's so awesome. It had a little Pound car and everything. However, I sold it to one of my brother’s friend’s little sister, who I reallyreallyreally hope looked after it.

The only Pound Puppy toy I still have is a miniature diner set (no original bits, though). The bits in the picture come from a later version of the Pound Puppies toys, when the dogs and cats stopped being steamrolled flat and gained normal animal shapes. The reason I kept these ones was because they were my favourites and it was these guys that I wrote my first 'proper' story about, when I was six. I don't have the story anymore, sadly, but can still remember it well as it was a game I used to play over and over again. I can still remember all the characters' names: (in order, left to right) Charlie, Maddy, Gregory, Bright-Eyes, Angel and Shiloh. (I was apparently much better at thinking of names when I was younger, too . . .)

Also, the last one, because I can’t find all of my Micro-Machines, here’s a picture of my awesomely pretty marbles. Don’t they just make you feel like a seven year old again?



. . . if you’re thinking, ‘No, they make me think you’re a seriously weird eighteen-year-old,’ then you need to go spend some time with your inner child . . . now.

Anyhoo. So yeah, if anyone ever reads this, and actually cares about my rants or whatever, then I’d really love it if you commented and told me what your favourite childhood toys were. Nostalgia is good to share, don’t you think?

4 comments:

  1. OH WOW. POLLY POCKET! <33333333333333 I had quite a few of those, but my sister had the best ones. She had a castle with a little horse and carriage, and a mermaid world thing that looked like a book when it was closed. Hang on, lemme find a picture. http://shanateugels.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/polly-pocket-boek.jpg?w=260&h=359 There were lights and stuff that moved and everything. And y'know, mermaids. I believe I was playing with that the year Jurassic Park was shown on tv for the first time. I have a distinct memory of sneakily playing with it while my sister was glued to the screen. Then I turned away from the sparkly mermaids at a "safe" part of the film. And a T. Rex burst through the wall. Good times.

    I think I remember lusting after that Grand Hotel thing.

    I might actually steal your idea and do a post on this. I have wayyyyyy too many things I used to love. :p

    I'm kind of jealous that you get to buy toys and stuff for your brother. XD So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh wow, I haven't seen that one before, it looks awesome! I think I had one similar, but it was like a suitcase on the outside and a beach/ocean on the inside with a pontoon/island that came out or something, with mermaids, but I can't really remember . . .

    I always hated Jurassic Park -- it terrifies me even now. :S

    And yes, you should! I'd love to hear about your old toys and stuff. ^^

    Yeah, I love shopping for him, and I have a sister now, too. The problem is avoiding the temptation to keep things I buy for them for myself. My inner child let loose in a toyshop with a debit card . . . such a bad idea. xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's a trip down memory lane. For me it was a train set, a ukulele and lots of toy cars. I didn't have lego, but I did have 'minibricks' which were a kind of rubber brick like thing, smaller than lego, that had lugs so you could join them together to build things. Now, I wonder what happened to that lot.

    There's a 'Life Is Good' award for you on my blog.

    http://firesidepark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without a doubt, my favourite childhood toys were My Little Ponies. Between my sister and me, we had ALL of them - or close enough to be the envy of everyone on the street. They went swimming with us during the day and at night we built them epic houses under the bed. Legos were often employed but jewelery cases and soft fabric scraps made the most luxurious Pony rooms.
    My 7-year-old niece also has those Polly Pocket dolls. They freak me out. The clothes are all gooey.

    ReplyDelete